© Copyright 2017
University of Windsor
Developing a disaster plan is an essential aspect of protecting the holdings of an archival institution. Disaster management will avoid panic, disarray, and damaging mistakes in the event of a catastrophe. Although prevention is an important consideration, some disasters will remain beyond our control. The University of Windsor Archives and Library is a relatively small organization, and is particularly vulnerable to disastrous events. A small staff and limited resources require that disaster recovery involve a large number of untrained volunteers. In an effort to act as a guide for all stages of a disaster, the plan must be simplistic, yet comprehensive. 2)
The goals of the University of Windsor Archives disaster plan are:
1. Implement disaster prevention policies.
2. Develop disaster preparedness.
3. Maximize the speed and efficiency of recovery.
4. Establish post-disaster strategies.
Copies of the completed plan must be distributed to the following:
It is extremely important that copies of the plan be maintained off-site for quick reference in case of an emergency.
- All members of the Archival staff, the library staff and the disaster teams
- Fire and police departments
- The University's insurance company and legal representative
Return to: Archives Home Page
Return to: Library Disaster Plan Home Page