University Archives
LAND REGISTRY COPY BOOKS

Quick Links




    University of Windsor Archives
    Leddy Library
    Windsor, Ontario
    Canada, N9B 3P4
    Brian Owens, Ph. D.
    University Archivist
    Phone: (519)253-3000, ext.3184
    Ana-Maria Staffen
    Archival Assistant
    Phone: (519)253-3000
    ext. 3851
    E-Mail: archive@uwindsor.ca


    © Copyright 2017
    University of Windsor




    CHRONOLOGY


    26 Sep 1760
    France surrenders the Lakes Region to the British.
    20 Sep 1783
    The boundary between the U.S. and British North America is drawn at the center of the Lakes and the connecting waters. The communities of Oswego, Niagara, Detroit and Mackinac are now part of the United States. The British remain at Fort Detroit for thirteen more years.
    24 Jul 1788
    Four districts were named in British North America. Lord Dorchester determined that the western limit of the Hesse District included Detroit and all lands lying west of the Great Lakes. The Township of Sandwich was formed.
    Early 1789
    Lord Dorchester appointed land boards for each of the districts to help expedite the settlement process.
    26 Dec 1791
    Canada was legally divided into Upper and Lower Canada.
    16 Jul 1792
    Richard Pollard was sworn in as sheriff.
    26 Jul 1792
    Lieutenant-Governor Simcoe proclaimed the boundaries of Essex County.
    15 Oct 1792
    Parliament changed the names of the four districts; Hesse was changed to the Western District. Deputy surveyors were appointed for each of the districts.
    1793
    Richard Pollard was appointed Registrar of the counties of Essex and Kent.
    1794
    Pollard was appointed Registrar of the Surrogate Court.
    9 Sep 1794
    Walter Roe was appointed the first Clerk of the Peace.
    6 Nov 1794
    The land boards were dissolved; from now on surveys were made under direct instructions from the Surveyor General or his Deputy.
    10 Aug 1795
    The first Registry Act was passed by the Provincial Parliament.
    21 Aug 1795
    Simcoe's proclamation directed all holders of certificates or tickets of occupation to deposit them with the Clerk of the Peace of the District.
    Jan 1796
    The last Court of Quarter Sessions was held in Detroit.
    16 Mar 1796
    The first memorial for Essex County was registered and signed at Detroit.
    3 Jun 1796
    The "Exodus Act" required the departure of British authority from Detroit to Sandwich.
    Aug 1796
    Michigan was ceded to the United States.
    1796
    Sandwich (also known as South Detroit) was made the county seat.
    18 Jan 1802
    Detroit was incorporated.
    7 Jun 1802
    Richard Pollard turned over his duties as sheriff to William Hands.
    1808
    Pollard appointed Hands Deputy Registrar for Essex, Kent and Suffolk counties.
    1818
    The U.S. Land Office opened in Detroit.

    _____________________________________________________________

    Return to: Archives Home Page

    Return to: Land Registry Copy Books Page