© Copyright 2015
University of Windsor
Awards banquet to open women's basketball championship tournament
The Women of Influence banquet will open the Canadian Interuniversity Sports national women's basketball championship tournament at downtown Windsor's St. Clair Centre for the Performing Arts on Thursday, March 17, with the presentation of major awards to the sport's athletes.
Besides honouring player, rookie, and coach of the year, the banquet will profile a number of local women, including:
Chosen for the significant impact they have made as a woman of influence in their professions and their communities, they serve as role models for what can be achieved in life post-graduation and will help to present the awards.
The event will be chaired by Colleen and Richard Peddie; Leafs TV reporter Andi Petrillo will act as master of ceremonies.
- Danielle Campo, UWindsor psychology student, World Paralympic Swimming Champion, 1998 to 2004
- Carol Derbyshire, executive director, Hospice of Windsor and Essex County
- Liz Hoffman, former director, Faculty of Physical Education & Health, University of Toronto
- Peg Hurley, founder of the International Dragon Boats for the Cure festival
- Sandra Pupatello (BA 1986), Minister of Economic Development & Trade and Member of Provincial Parliament for Windsor West
- Katherine Roth (BA 1974), broker, Windsor Real Estate Professional
- Anne Winterbottom (BA 1981, CWS 1990, LLD 1995), president, Winclare Management Services Inc.
- Sheila Wisdom (BA 2001, LLD 2004), former executive director, United Way of Windsor-Essex County
It begins at 5:30 p.m. with hors d'oeuvres; dinner will be served at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $100 per person, available from Mary-Ann Rennie, special events manager, at 519-253-3000, ext. 7059.
The CIS tournament will feature the top eight teams in the country vying for the Bronze Baby national championship trophy, and runs March 18 to 20 at the St. Denis Centre. Find event details and ticket information at goLancers.ca. Volunteers are needed for a variety of tasks; to apply, submit a completed form by February 28.