University Slogan - The degree that works
Graduate Calendar
Spring 2008

Click here for a Printer Friendly page.

k Links

1) Graduate students must register before the proper deadline or they will not receive credit for academic work they may be doing during the term. Note: Registration is not complete until the appropriate fees have been paid.

Students completing all requirements for the degree within the first few weeks of a term may be eligible for a tuition refund for that term. (Consult the Office of Graduate Studies .)

2) Full-time students are required to maintain continuous registration through all terms of their graduate program. Failure to do so will require application for readmission to their program and payment may be required for terms missed, up to a maximum of three terms.

3) In accordance with the circumstances listed below, a student may apply to the Dean of Graduate Studies for, and may be granted, a leave of absence.

Maternity Leave: Graduate students may request a maternity leave for no more than three consecutive terms without prejudice to their academic standing.

Paternity Leave: In recognition of a father's role, a graduate student may request paternity leave for no more than one term without prejudice to their academic standing.

Parental Leave: Parental leave is intended to recognize the need for a pause in studies in order to provide full-time care in the first stages of parenting a child. Either or both parents may request one term of leave without prejudice to their academic standing. The request for leave must be completed within twelve months of the date of birth or custody.

Financial Leave: In the case of financial necessity, primarily as evidenced by the support awarded through the University, a student shall be granted a leave of no more than one term out of three upon application (not available to part-time students.)

Medical Leave: Graduate students may apply for a leave of absence on medical grounds for up to three terms without prejudice to their academic standing. Students are required to provide documentation to support a medical leave of absence.

Personal Leave: Graduate students may apply for a leave of absence on grounds of serious personal circumstances for up to three terms without prejudice to their academic standing. Examples, though not wholly inclusive, are death in the immediate family, psychological difficulties, and educational opportunities (e.g., B.Ed., LL.B.).

A term is defined as a four-month period coinciding with the academic calendar (January to April; May to August; and September to December).

While on leave, a student will not have access to any university resources, including office space, computer access, library facilities, continuation of laboratory experiments, computer research applications, and guidance by faculty members.

Apart from the combination of maternity or paternity and parental leave, sequentially combining two leave of absence classifications is allowable only in special and extenuating circumstances.

Applications may be submitted to the student's department for recommendation before the end of the second week of the term. A student on leave of absence will be assessed a fee of fifty dollars ($50.00) per term. Appeals against any decisions shall be heard promptly by the Graduate Appeals Committee.

4) Part-time students must register in every session in which the facilities of the University are to be utilized, whether in residence or off-campus. This includes those who are consulting with faculty members while working on a major paper, thesis, or dissertation. Part-time students who have not registered in two consecutive terms will be required to apply for readmission, and their applications will be considered on their merits in the light of the then prevailing conditions and circumstances.

5) Students are reminded that they will not receive credit for courses for which they are not properly registered or for courses completed during terms in which the student has not paid fees.

Once a student has registered, course changes or withdrawal after the published deadlines require permission from the Dean of Graduate Studies . Subjects dropped without permission from the Dean will be regarded as failures.

Non-Degree Registration: A student who is not interested in admission as a degree student may be allowed to register for individual courses on a non-degree basis. The maximum number of courses taken overall on this basis is two. Only students who have been admitted to a graduate program may receive graduate credit at the University of Windsor for courses taken.

Audit Student: An audit student in any course is one who attends the course without credit toward a degree or program. Such a student will not be allowed to write examinations and cannot be graded in any way. The student will pay the regular fees for the course(s).