University Slogan - The degree that works
Undergraduate Calendar
Fall 2009

Click here for a Printer Friendly page.

k Links


Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English to be considered for admission. This can be demonstrated in the following ways:

1) A minimum score of 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or

2) A minimum score of 60 on the Carleton University’s Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL); or

3) A minimum score of 85 on the English Proficiency Test administered by the English Language Institute of the University of Michigan (MELAB); or

4) A minimum score of 220 with a T.W.E. 4.5 on the Computer-based Test, 83 with an essay score of 21 on the Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (T.O.E.F.L.); or

5) Receive a minimum of five semester transfer credits based on work completed ­at a recognized English-speaking University. (Normally, students must have at least one term of full-time study.); or

6) Receive a minimum of one year of transfer credit based on work completed­ at a non-university post-secondary institution with above average stand­ing; or

7) Have completed all secondary or post-secondary education in English speaking countries such as the UK, West Indies and other countries as specified by the undergraduate admissions office; or

8) Can demonstrate that they have completed three years of full-time secondary or post-secondary study in a school where the language of instruction is English (e.g., in a British, Canadian, American or Australian Curriculum or an international diploma like the International Baccalaureate) and can demonstrate English proficiency. In some cases an English proficiency test may still be required; or

9) Applicants who do not satisfy the above requirements and wish exemption must provide the Admissions Office with a letter detailing the reasons for their appeal and include a letter of recommendation from their Secondary School principal or designate. The Manager of Undergraduate Admissions or Director of International Admissions assesses the request for exemption of this requirement.